There's a good bit of mileage in this line-up. Poet, story-gatherer, editor, publisher, writer, librarian, study coach, community arts worker, spoken word artist, business partner, motivator, parent, life-partner.... and after enlightenment, wash the car!
There's songlines, but not many straight lines, with several itineraries on the same map for the future..
But looking back while thinking forward, and to give you a sense of the journey/s... here's the map of past:
- With a diploma in library studies, I've been school library manager in four schools in NSW, QLD, & NZ; and have run creative writing workshops in Byron Bay, Wanaka, Cairns, & last year here at Cessnock, including adult, children & teenager groups
- Before relocating to the Hunter, I was also a decade with PeakXpression as a publishing editor & book distributor.
- Having coordinated the adult education programme in Wanaka NZ, and presidented the Tropical Writers in Cairns during the first years of the FNQ Writers Festival, I'm experienced at event management, workshop facilitation and presentation.
- With a stint in advertising in Sydney in earlier years, I developed a keen eye for graphic design and layout skills, along with focussed copywriting & confident client liaison. Skills that have served me well.
- My original work experience was as a support worker in refuges - youth, drug & alcohol detox, general family.
- Recently training as an educator for One Door Mental Health, I co-facilitated a module on suicide in 2016, & ran a 4-week carer support program 2017.
- Poetry has been a constant companion. I have three full collections published, with many pieces published in Australia & NZ, a set of YouTube spoken word video clips online recorded with backing by Kevin Lowther from Francis & The Shadow Girl, many live spoken word appearances, and a well-developed network of poets and writers who have walked the talk as well.
- Along with a strong & passionate cohort of central Hunter poets, I've been part of the Maitland City Council Poets in Cafes residency program, and coordinated the regular Crossing Live spoken word events as well at Kearsley. . Love that poetry vibe!
- Refocussing my education qualification and experience, I'm now a study coach in the Cessnock area..